Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Day Ten (August 15)

My destinations today are first a village called Memramcook just south east of Moncton, where Acadians first dyked and farmed land many centuries ago, and to which they returned to and are now a strong community, and then later on in the day, Shediac. Memramcook is also where the Acadians held their first national convention in 1881, where they first collectively realized that they were a people united still in their unique culture and shared history.

The town advertised a day of music events, outdoors ideally, and in the arena if it rained.

Well, it rained. And back in Moncton, my Honda would only start with the helpful push of Jon Steeper, who happened to come home for lunch. It seems that I will need to visit a mechanic before I head out back to Montreal tomorrow.

Once started, it was happy to be restarted, so I ventured out confident in Acadian hospitality should I need another push to get me going.

In Memramcook, things were hopping at the local arena, and banging, and honking, and rattling… a traditional Acadian celebration called a tintamarre involves making as much joyous racket as possible with whatever noise maker is your choice.

The acoustics in the arena were not good, so I decided against trying to record anything there, and elected instead to buy CDs from the two groups I heard, both family member groups.

Wow! I can’t think of any similar community in Ontario where I would find such a high caliber of music. I can’t think of any similar community in Ontario where I would find any kind of live music, other than in the bars… or traveling rock or country bands… we’re too wrapped up in our televisions.

I heard Entre Chums, with Dorine, Rober, Philippe and Georges Boudreau. These folks had only played together for 6 rehearsals, but it sounded like they had been together for decades. Well, actually, they had, in different incarnations and one of these was called “Harmonie”. They happened to have one CD, and what a treat this is!

The next group, La Famille Arsenault, all appeared to be related. My oral French comprehension ability is very poor, and compounded by the poor arena acoustics and the limited success the sound man was having with the P.A., I could not hear clearly much of anything said… but I did hear “mon pere” and “mon oncle” and other family type labels. And there was the full range of generations on stage, all playing multiple instruments, dancing and singing tight harmonies…

My second destination was a return visit to Shediac, which I had passed through the day before with Mark. In the town centre Pascal Poirier Park, the band Acajun was performing, along with games, prizes, food, lots of fun and mosquitoes the size of house flies. I didn’t get a CD of the band, as their style was highly commercialized… good band, but not unlike the big name house bands we have in Ontario. The park is crammed with people, all having a blast… I am sure that this is only the beginning of the party, but I’ve got to get my car to the service station, and then get my gear ready to pack and head back to Montreal…

The Acadian adventure is drawing to a close... for now.